Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eternally Beautiful

As many of you know (especially because almost everyone who reads our blog is family…) our niece Mara passed away on September 22 after fighting for almost 1 year against cancer. To learn more about the last year please visit http://www.maraadams.com/ . Since most of you do know what has happened in the last year I don’t feel it is necessary to explain it any further. Instead I would like to talk a little about how Mara has affected us.
Mara was born just a few months before I left for a mission in Peru. I remember her being a happy, smiley baby. After 2 years in Peru I came home to a now 2 yr old girl. It always took me forever to get Mara to warm up to me. She had such a sweet little voice. My one goal during holiday vacations was to gain Mara’s trust and get her to talk.
Lucky for me, I met Leisha. She was much better at making friends with kids, Mara being no exception. We are so glad that both our families live in the same area so we could enjoy Mara each holiday.
We have felt an increased love from our Heavenly Father this last year. We have seen the Lord prepare us for the events that would come. Mara was diagnosed just a few days after our little Emma was born. We have felt Mara’s sweet spirit in Emma and are convinced that we had her just in time to understand on a small scale how Bryan and Heather felt about Mara.
We were sad to see Mara go, but we are happy she is at peace. We have been strengthened as a family and cherish every minute together. Bryan and Heather have impressed us so much. They are by far some of the best parents we know and are wonderful examples for us. We love them as we continue to love Mara. We are grateful for eternal families and the chance to be together again as Mara’s Team.
Thanksgiving 2004
Summer 2006 Summer 2007 Memorial day 2008 Summer 2008

We love you Mara!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard & Leisha,
Very nice....we all love Mara and hurt at her loss. We love you guys and thank you so much for coming home to be with us during this difficult time. We needed to have little Emma around to cheer us up!
Love, Mom
ps - waiting for the picture of emma in pigtails!!!

melanie said...

Love this post Richard. I've been touched by Mara and her awesome parents too. I've only met them at your wedding and through their blog but their testimony and example are solid and inspiring. I've imagined your heartache as my own (especially since Mara and Nathan are the same age) and have cried many times reading about sweet Mara. I'm so glad you guys were able to come home to be surrounded by family as you mourned her loss and celebrated her life. I love all these photos you shared. It was great to see you. I'm glad you are home safe after such a long, hard, exhausting week. Prayers are still being offered on all your behalfs. We love all 3 of you!!!

ps- I want the photo of the pigtails too! (even though until that comment I had no idea one existed, ha!)

melanie said...

Oh I forgot, who has a couch that could be a twin to our couch? I had no idea there were others out there, ha.

Shaila Lou said...

I'm glad you guys were able to come home and spend so much precious time with your family during this time. That's what it's all about!

I've cried many times on all of your behalf. I can't imagine go through this last year you all have.

What a blessing to know we have eternal families. I don't know how anyone can get through loss without it. Through all my experiences, comfort is given when needed. But some days, mourning still comes. What a blessing of our knowledge to get us through all these days. Love you guys!!

Marion said...

What a sweet post. I still feel sad that I wasn't there. We all have so much to be thankful for. For eternal families...for the knowledge we have of why were here and where we're going...for everyone who touches our lives in some big or small way! I love you all! oxoxo! A & F....

HAdams said...

What a nice tribute to Mara. We loved spending time with you in Washington and can't wait to see you at Christmas!

Brianne said...

What a sweet post. I'm so glad you all were able to come be with family. It's amazing how you can be buoyed up with words of comfort and many hugs. I think of you guys during this time and hope all is well as you're able to mourn and celebrate Mara's life. My prayers are with you.